Heather Thoma is a Business Development Manager at FCT. Founded in 1991, the FCT group of companies is based in Oakville, Ontario. provides industry-leading title insurance, default solutions and other real estate-related products and services to approximately 450 lenders, over 44,000 legal professionals and 5,000 recovery professionals, as well as real estate agents, mortgage brokers and builders, nationwide.
Heather talks about the importance of title insurance, what it covers and how much it costs.
- [0:40] Why is Title Insurance a great thing to have?
- Title Insurance is designed to protect the homeowner from all the inherent liabilities when owning a home that you can’t predict with the normal review processes.
- Situations like: Renovations done without the proper permit, arrears property taxes, arrears utility fees, or even larger issues like municipal zoning issues.
- There is no other product like this. There is a big misconception that there are other insurances that can protect you from these problems.
- [2:10] Heather shares some examples of when Title Insurance would be used in combination of other insurance plans.
- [5:10] How do you pay for Title Insurance?
- Title Insurance is offered at the time the purchase of the property happens.
- Most lenders ask that you get the insurance to protect them as well.
- Lifetime coverage of the bundled product is only $200 dollars.
- [6:10] What does the homeowner policy cover?
- With FTC we cover over 33 different areas of risks. Ranging from fraud and forgery (past and future coverage) to “The Duty To Defend”. The Duty To Defend is extra coverage that covers the legal costs of any claims.